CLOSE

Three people were taken to the hospital after a mix of chemicals created toxic fumes inside a Mequon swimming pool facility on Thursday.

Workers who were delivering chemicals to Splash! Swim and Wellness, 10636 N. Commerce St., had accidentally mixed sulfuric acid and bleach, creating “a large cloud of chlorine gas” around 11:14 a.m., said Mequon Deputy Fire Chief Kurt Zellman.

Everyone in the facility had evacuated by the time first responders arrived.

The chemical company employee, a swim instructor and a swimming client were transported to a hospital because they were in “significant respiratory distress,” Zellman said.

Zellman said he did not know the condition of the three people, but he did not believe their injuries were life-threatening.

Paramedics evaluated six other people, but they were not transported to a hospital.

The Mequon fire and police departments were assisted on the scene by Ozaukee County Emergency Management’s Hazardous Materials Team, as well as firefighters from the North Shore, Thiensville, Cedarburg, Grafton and Germantown fire departments.

Zellman said it took the crews roughly four hours to clear the chlorine gas out of the facility.

Contact Jeff Rumage at (262) 446-6616 or jeff.rumage@jrn.com. Follow him on Twitter at @JeffRumage or Facebook at www.facebook.com/northshorenow.

Our subscribers make this reporting possible. Please consider supporting local journalism by subscribing to the Journal Sentinel at jsonline.com/deal.

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

Read or Share this story: https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/northshore/news/mequon/2020/08/06/toxic-fumes-injure-three-people-splash-swim-and-wellness-mequon/3314561001/