Strains That Ease Strain: The Best Cannabis for Anxiety and Depression
Many countries, including local governments in 33 US states, have legalized marijuana for medicinal use. Volumes of scientific reports stating that cannabis can cure tons of diseases and medical ailments have convinced politicians of the efficacy of the plant. These studies have revealed that the plant can improve the symptoms of epilepsy and seizures, as well as
manage and treat pain and other ailments.
Two of the most popular medical problems that marijuana can cure are anxiety and depression. Researchers have found that there are cannabis strains that are effective in controlling these conditions. Some of the more popular strains used in the treatment of anxiety and depression are ACDC, Cannatonic, Granddaddy Purple, Jack Herer, Lavender, Sour Tsunami, Pineapple Express, Harlequin, Lemon Kush, Strawberry Cough, Cinex, and XJ-13. Aside from relieving these mental ailments, the side-effects are beneficial for treating other medical conditions too.
Just how widespread are these mental health problems in the U.S. According to a report by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, anxiety disorders are the most common mental disorders in the U.S., affecting more than 18% (40 million) of the adult population every year while depression affects 6.7% (300,000) of American adults. These two mental illnesses are interconnected. Half of the people living with depression also have an anxiety disorder.
Marijuana for Anxiety and Depression
Cannabis has been in the media spotlight for its contributions to medicine, and now as a cure for mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression. Although many medical reports attest to the calming effects of weed on the mind that can temporarily calm the symptoms of anxiety and depression in many people, doctors and marijuana experts warn patients not to self-medicate with cannabis. Professionals advise that some strains may aggravate the symptoms of anxiety and depression in some patients. So, to be sure that you get the desired effect from medicinal weed, including calming the nerves, you need to choose the right strains for the job.
Experts say that strains with lower tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and higher cannabidiol (CBD) content are best for calming the mind. Since THC is a psychoactive substance, it can lead to heightened paranoia and anxiety when taken by a patient. The good news is that many weed strains have little to no THC content and seeds can be purchased from authorized retailers like Herbies.
Cannabis Strains that Combat Anxiety
– ACDC – Using ACDC can help you stay calm, clear-headed, and focused in
uncomfortable social situations and, with minimal THC content (1:20 THC to CBD ratio), ACDC is effective in treating pain, epileptic seizures, multiple sclerosis, stress, and the harmful effects of chemotherapy.
– Cannatonic – Cannatonic is one of the variants with a low THC and high CBD content. When ingested, cannatonic produces a short-lived, pleasant effect that can also calm and uplift your mood because of its high CBD content. This cannabis type is also used to treat chronic pain, muscle spasms, migraines, and a wide range of other psychological symptoms. The plant often has a hint of an earthy odor and a mild, sweet, slightly citrusy flavor.
– Granddaddy Purple – Introduced by Ken Estes in 2004, this strain offers a fusion of cerebral euphoria and physical relaxation. Once taken, it can induce a relaxing and dreamy state. Granddaddy Purple is also useful for relieving pain, and loss of appetite, stress, insomnia, and muscle spasms.
– Jack Herer – A Dutchman discovered this 55% Sativa hybrid in the mid-1990s. Since its introduction, many Dutch pharmacies have distributed this strain after it received a medical-grade rating. Many of its users have reported that they became happy, clear-headed, creative, and energetic after inhaling this variant.
– Lavender – This strain, also known as Lavender Kush, has numerous buds that emit a floral and spicy scent. Just like the lavender plant, this cannabis variant can make a person feel relaxed, happy and sleepy.
– Sour Tsunami – Being a strain specially bred to produce a cannabis variant with a high CBD content, Sour Tsunami is one of the most effective strains for relieving stress and depression. What’s more, you can use Sour Tsunami to treat pain and inflammation.
– Pineapple Express – If you’re looking for a weed that can lift your mood for an afternoon of creative work, this strain is the one for you. Using this variant can relieve stress and depression. With an aroma closely resembling that of fresh apples and mangos and the taste of pineapple, pine, and cedar, this strain can help you feel happy and energetic for the rest of the day.
– Harlequin – For depressed people who need a clear head, even after taking their depression treatment, Harlequin is the strain to take. It can make you feel relaxed without the sedated feeling, thereby offering you relief without getting intoxicated.
– Lemon Kush – Aside from having an uplifting effect on your mood and mental functioning, Lemon Kush can also stimulate hunger. Flavored with lemon and citrus, this strain can be an excellent solution for relieving the stresses of your life.
– Strawberry Cough – Overcoming social anxiety is difficult for many Americans. If you experience this condition, Strawberry Cough can help you manage it as the properties of this strain will help keep you feeling more balanced during moments of elevated stress.
– Cinex – This strain is effective for improving your mood during or after a stressful day as it has a clear-headed and uplifting effect that can help you build a positive mindset. It can also stimulate creative energy that may reignite interest in the hobbies and activities you love.
– XJ-13 – This strain can stimulate creativity and conversation, which can help you come up with exciting ideas and improve your social engagements. Using XJ-13 is also a powerful way to relieve stress and lift your mood.
Use Weed Strains with Caution
While these variants of weed are effective in relieving stress and improving mood, you still need a prescription from doctors and marijuana experts to prevent unexpected effects on your health. You should also always double-check the strain you are purchasing. There are hundreds of weed strains on the market and some of them have very similar names. To avoid confusion, you will need the assistance of the store attendant.