Raleigh police respond to Crabtree Valley Mall after gunshots reported

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Raleigh police say they responded to a gunfire call at Crabtree Valley Mall Saturday evening as mall security guards were telling people to leave and locking the mall doors.

A CBS 17 reporter, who was at the scene when a disturbance happened around 6:30 p.m., said she saw a large group of people run through the mall.

Police and mall officials later said there was no gunfire.

A mall spokeswoman said “the panic was caused by a teenage fight.”

A CBS 17 reporter, Judith Retana, said said she saw a “stampede” of people running through the mall to the exits.

As of 6:40 p.m. mall security was asking people to leave for “their own safety,” Retana said.

Some people were still trying to enter the mall, but by 6:45 p.m. security officers were locking the mall doors.

No one was hurt and no one was charged, Raleigh police said.

Saturday’s incident comes about a month after 911 callers said shots were fired and then additional callers reported a person had been shot inside the mall, according to Raleigh police.

Police later learned that the incident on July 18 began after several groups of juveniles used social media to pre-arrange fights in the mall at a certain time that Saturday.

During the fights, fireworks were lit and some people thought the sounds were gunfire, police said. The fights took place near the Belk’s store, according to police.

Crabtree Valley Mall representatives later released a statement about Saturday’s disturbance:

Thank you to the Raleigh Police Department for their timely response to tonight’s incident. The safety and security of our guests, employees and retailers remains our top priority. For additional questions please contact the Raleigh Police Department.

Leslie Himley, Marketing & Business Development Director, Crabtree Valley Mall

A Crabtree Valley Mall security officer asking people to leave the mall Saturday. Photo by Judith Retana/CBS 17

More headlines from CBS17.com: